The site features an office used by Confederate Gen. Joseph E. Johnston in April 1865 during the Civil War. The property also features 18th and 19th century medicinal and herb garden. It was moved from its original location (1 mile southeast of Hillsborough) to its present location in the heart of the historic district.
The house serves as the Hillsborough Visitors Center, including a small gift shop. The second floor houses offices for the Alliance for Historic Hillsborough. The Alliance offers tours starting from the Visitors Center regularly. Call or visit website for more information. Historic Hillsborough is the oldest town in Piedmont region.