In 1888, Beaufort County became the first in the state to erect a monumnet honoring its Confederate dead. The monument, a replica of a Confederate soldier placed on a granite pedestal, now stands on the crest of a hill in Oakdale Cemetery. It was originally placed on the slight elevation where Water Street turns into MacNair Street, a location chosen so that ships coming up the Pamlico River would get, as their first glimpse of the town, the Confederate soldier on his pedestal. When a new railroad station was built and railroad activity changed the character of the location, the town decided to move the statue to the new cemetery.

Contact