Built in 1820 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Dr. Josephus Hall House was originally constructed as classrooms for the Salisbury Female Academy (1820-1825). The Hall House became a residence in 1825 when local businessman Maxwell Chambers and his half-sister Rebecca Troy purchased the property and made it their home. Dr. Josephus Hall purchased the home in 1859 and began to transform it into a grand Southern residence. The house served four generations of the Hall family before its purchase by Historic Salisbury Foundation in 1972, along with many of its original contents, from Hall’s great granddaughter.
The home is open for tours Saturdays and Sundays from 1-4 PM, March through December.