Cast Away on New Adventures in Wilmington & Island Beaches
Built in 1925 for N.C. Central University founder James E. Shepard. Served as the official residence of the university’s presidents through the early 1980s and hosted such luminaries as W.E.B. DuBois, Phillip Randolph, Marian Anderson and Mary McLeod Bethune. A grant from the National Park Service and private donations helped fund a $685,000 renovation of the property, which displays interactive exhibits on the life and work of Dr. Shepard and serves as a space for small gatherings.