Tarboro’s impressive Town Common is one of two remaining original Colonial Town Commons in the United States, the other one being in Boston. Its 15 acres of lush, oak-shaded lawn serve as a gateway to the 45-block historic district. Originally designed for the common grazing of livestock, community outings and military drills, there were two schools located on the Common. The land is the crown jewel of Tarboro’s 45-block historic district. Granite statues grace the grounds, as well as the beautiful Wyatt Fountain, named for Henry Wyatt, the first North Carolina casualty of the Civil War; the 1840 Cotton Press, which is the last of its kind; the beautiful Herb Gardens area; and the nature walk along McBryde Trail. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.