City Lake, located off Sunset Avenue at the Tar River, was first constructed as a Works Progress Administration project under President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s administration in 1937. The lake has undergone many facelifts over the years, with a complete beautification project concluded in 1993. Joggers and walkers make a trek around a half-mile concrete path surrounding the lake, while others relax under the tall hardwoods and pines to feed the exotic waterfowl living around the famous site or cast a line from the large wooden deck that garnishes the west edge of the lake. Other amenities include a gazebo, piers, a bridge to the island, and a fountain. By day or night, City Lake is one of the most beautiful sites in the two counties. Called “a place for us to come together,” City Lake has become a symbol of the Rocky Mount area.