Home of Thomas and Penelope Barker. Penelope was one of 51 ladies who signed their names to a petition resolving not to buy or use British goods because of taxes levied by the king. Their protest in 1774 became known as the “Edenton Tea Party.” The house was built in 1782, consisting of a parlor wing and a half hall. Was added onto 3 times by 1840 to its present state - 3 floors and 8 fireplaces. Original location was 2 blocks north.
Stop by for area information and maps plus to view the exhibits. We also have a great gift shop and Trolley Tour tickets are purchased here.