Built by German immigrant Michael Braun in 1766, this two-story Georgian-style house is the oldest structure in Rowan County. The home was stately for its time, with the stones on the front carefully shaped and matched, creating an impressive face to visitors. The building remained the home of the Braun family until 1911 when it was sold to Benjamin Sumner. In 1959, the Rowan Museum purchased it, and the former domicile became a museum honoring the Braun family.
The house is open for tours 1 - 4 pm on Saturdays and Sundays, April through November.