Cast Away on New Adventures in Wilmington & Island Beaches
The McDowell House at Quaker Meadows, the oldest brick house in Burke County, was built in 1812 by Captain Charles McDowell, Jr., in anticipation of his marriage the following year to his cousin, Anna McDowell. This restored house of vernacular Federal-style architecture portrays the history of life in the 19th century. The detached kitchen, known as the Kistler Kitchen, has been reconstructed on its original foundation. A lovely “kitchen garden,” located at the back of the house, is maintained by the Mimosa Garden Club.