On September 16, 1876, as their new church was being dedicated, a hurricane hit the village. Reportedly, heavy rains and wind tide pushed in from the Pamlico Sound and flooded the town, until the village and surrounding area were under five feet of water. The winds were strong and relentless, and the new church building was floated off its brick pilings and began the journey which gives the story credence. The church traveled north and then east, eventually reaching the exact piece of property the congregation had earlier attempted to purchase. After turning itself around facing Main Street, the church settled onto this higher piece of ground and remained there. Title to the land was eventually obtained in 1881. The Church Moved by the Hand of God holds regular worship services and the public is invited to attend.