Collection of 10 historic farm buildings moved in the early 1950s to current location from throughout the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The buildings form an open-air museum that can be visited during daylight hours throughout the year. Buildings include a house, barn, applehouse, springhouse, and smokehouse. The museum is adjacent to the Oconaluftee Visitor Center.
Located a half mile from the visitors center is Mingus Mill. Built in 1886 and still on its original site, this historic grist mill uses a water-powered turbine instead of a water wheel to power all of the machinery in the building.
Two excellent walking trails start from the vicinity near the museum. The 1.5-mile Oconaluftee River Trail follows its namesake stream. The 1.5-mile Mingus Creek Trail climbs past old farms to the Smokies high country.
- Handicap Accessible
- Parking: Motorcoach rv
- Tours: Self guided