Beachside to Boardwalk Family Fun in Carolina Beach
Situated along the eastern shore of the Scuppernong River, Columbia (originally known as Elizabeth Town) was chartered by the North Carolina General Assembly in 1793. In 1799 the town was selected as the seat of Tyrrell County, which was established in 1729 as a precinct of Albemarle County. The name of the town was changed to Columbia in 1810, to avoid confusion with another Elizabethtown in North Carolina. The Columbia Historic District was formally listed on the National Register of Historic Places in March of 1994. The District consists of a collection of buildings dating from the 19th century to WWII. Residential dwellings and commercial buildings comprise the 35 acre district, and construction details such as Vistorian sawn and turned ornament and decorative brickwork lent distinctiveness to the historic building stock.What better way to spend a morning or afternoon than walking...