Historic First National Bank BuildingOnlineAddress101-103 S. Center StreetStatesville, NC 28677Phone 1890. Three-story brick building topped by corner mansard clock tower. The bank was organized in May 1887 and in the fall of 1889 construction began on the building, which was ready for occupancy in mid-March 1890 with George F. Sheperd as president. In 1929, both this bank and Commercial National Bank each had 1% of the state’s bank deposits. First National Bank closed in January 1933, a victim of the Depression. The clock tower is called the “Alliance Clock” after the Farmers Alliance was a factor in a local election of county commissioners following their appropriation of $175.00 (1/4 of the total cost) of the county farmer’s tax money for the clock for the city.