Built-in 1879 as a tourism attraction, Andrews Geyser was an eye-catching site for visitors reaching Old Fort by train during the late 19th century. It was part of the property surrounding the Round Knob Hotel. The geyser was named to honor the vice-president of the Western North Carolina Railroad, Alexander Boyd Andrews, and is situated on the banks of Mill Creek, a designated trout stream between the upper railroad bridge and the U.S. Highway 70 bridge. One of two N.C. Civil War Trail Markers is located here noting one of the last skirmishes of the Civil War in April of 1865.
The geyser is part of Old Fort's 7 Wonders Trail, a community mural project. The geyser painting shown here is found on Mountain Gateway Museum's outside wall. Stop by the Blue Ridge Traveler Visitor Center at 91 S. Catawba Avenue to pick up a mural map and brochure.
Call 828-668-4282 for directions.