The Andy Griffith Playhouse, circa 1920, is the first known site of a public school in Mount Airy. Andy Griffith attended elementary school and performed on stage when the site was known as the Rockford Street Elementary School. It was named after Andy Griffith in the early 1970s. Nearby is the “Andy & Opie” TV Land Landmark Statue. The new amphitheatre made from Mount Airy granite provides entertainment throughout the year. The Andy Griffith Playhouse is home to several entertainment opportunities from plays to music events throughout the year.