Archaeological site along the Bath Bay waterfront in Bath. Bath State Historic Site. Excavated in 1997, the site contains the foundation of the Bath A.M.E. Zion Church, built between 1895 and 1900. The church continued to be used into the 1930s but by 1940, it fell into such disrepair that it was abandoned and had disappeared by the 1950s. A plan to develop the property in the 1960s led to the discovery of an abandoned cemetery that contained some 42 unmarked graves. A marker containing the names of those buried there was placed on the site in 1996.