The tradition of annual religious revivals started at Grassy Branch (now Terrell) by Methodist during the late 1790's. This tradition continued when the present Balls Creek Campground was constructed in 1853 at a central location to all the Methodist congregations in eastern Catawba County. The yearly two-week revivals at the Balls Creek Campground continued to the present day. These revivals have only been interrupted on two occasions, one was for rowdiness, the other during war time. The Campground and its several hundreds of tents are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.