In 1888, Beaufort County became the first in the state to erect a monumnet honoring its Confederate dead. The monument, a replica of a Confederate soldier placed on a granite pedestal, now stands on the crest of a hill in Oakdale Cemetery. It was originally placed on the slight elevation where Water Street turns into MacNair Street, a location chosen so that ships coming up the Pamlico River would get, as their first glimpse of the town, the Confederate soldier on his pedestal. When a new railroad station was built and railroad activity changed the character of the location, the town decided to move the statue to the new cemetery.
North Carolina's First Confederate Memorial
Oakdale Cemetery, Corner 15th and Market
Washington, NC 27889
Toll Free U.S.:(800) 999-3857