The Piedmont Heritage Wine Trail
Four Wineries, Distance Of 74.7 Miles – This relaxing drive through the rolling hills and farmland of North Carolina’s northern Piedmont is a great way to enjoy NC’s wines, scenery and heritage all in one trip. Not only can you taste a wide array of wines made in North Carolina, you can also visit and tour a historic plantation and gardens at Chinqua-Penn and perhaps even spend a night or weekend in a romantic vineyard cabin at Autumn Creek.
The four wineries on this trail feature just about every type of wine you can think of, from full-bodied Cabernet Sauvignon to muscadines like Carlos and Niagara to fruit flavored temptations such as Peach, Strawberry, and Blueberry. There are often some unique and fun events on this trail as well, such as Stonefield’s “Girls Nights Out” and “Soup and Sing” potluck open mic nights. And all four wineries are just a short drive from both Winston-Salem and Greensboro, with all the restaurants, lodging and nightlife those cities have to offer.
8220 NC Highway 68
Stokesdale, NC 27357
Amenities: Tasting room, gift shop.
Wines: Pinot Gris, Viognier, Chardonnay, Rose, Mountain Mama Madness Red, Cabernet Franc, Sangiovese, Dread Pirate Robert’s Bloody Red Wine, Barrel X, Synchronicity, Cabernet Sauvignon, Traminette, Riesling, Ruby Rock Red, Blueberry, BellaSelena, Illumination, Niagara, Peach, Strawberry, Noble, Symphony, Vin de Narle’.
7630 Brooks Bridge Road
Gibsonville, NC 27249
Amenities: Tasting room, gift shop, picnic area.
Wines: Tramintette, Haw River White, Niagara, Dawns Early White, Eno River White, Chardonnay, Viognier, Symphony, Merlot, Roanoke River Red, Rose, Sangiovese, Norton, Nebbiolo, Rosso Dolce, Ensemble, Claret, Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon.
Chinqua Penn Vineyards
2138 Wentworth Street
Reidsville, NC 27320
Amenities: Tasting room, gift shop, gardens, historic plantation tours.
Wines: Chardonnay, Grove Haw River White, Red, Research Red, Lenoz Castle Red, Muscadine Blush, Hiagara.
(Note: Wine tastings are available with or without tours of the Chinqua-Penn mansion and/or grounds)
Autumn Creek Vineyards
364 Means Creek Road
Mayodan, NC 27027
Amenities: Tasting room, gift shop, rental cabins on the property.
Wines: Merlot, Chardonnay, Viognier, Niagara, Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Sundown Round Bordeaux Blend, Ms Gin’s Blend Rosé.
- From I-40: Take Exit 210 (NC Highway 68) north toward Stokesdale. Continue on Highway 68 through Stokesdale, and after about 1.5 miles bear right on NC Highway 65/68. The entrance to Stonefield Cellars will be immediately on your right.
- Return to NC 65/68 and turn right. When the highways split, bear right to stay on NC 65. After two miles, turn right on US Highway 220. Follow US 220 for 5.5 miles, and then turn left onto NC 150. Continue on NC 150 for 17.4 miles, then continue straight when the road turns into Osceola Ossipee Road. Go 3.4 miles and then take a slight left onto Brooks Bridge Road. The Grove Winery will be on the right, a half-mile up the road.
- Go back onto Brooks Bridge Road and Osceola Ossipee Road to NC 150 and take a right, then take an immediate left onto Chrismon Road. Go 2.1 miles, then turn right at Friendship Church Road. Go one mile and take a left at Candy Creek Road, then an immediate right onto Business 29 (Freeway Drive) Go 8.4 miles, then turn left onto Moss Street. After half a mile, turn left onto Wentworth Street. After 1.3 miles, the Chinqua-Penn Plantation House (including the winery) will be on your right.
- Return to Wentworth Street and take a right. Go 2.1 miles, then turn right onto NC Highway 65 and follow the highway for 5.2 miles, then continue straight onto NC Highway 704 when the roads split. Continue on NC 704 for 7.9 miles, then turn right to merge onto US Highway 220 North. Go 6.4 miles, then take the NC 770 exit and turn left (west). Go five miles, then take a right at Glenn Chapel Road. Continue for 0.3 miles, then take a left onto Means Creek Road. After 0.8 miles, the Autumn Creek Vineyards will be on the left.
- To return to points north or south, return to NC Highway 770 and turn left. After 6.4 miles, you will reach US Highway 220. Go south to get to Greensboro and Interstates 40 and 85, or go north to head towards Martinsville, Virginia.
Winery hours vary seasonally. Please call ahead to be sure the vineyards you want to visit will be open when you arrive. Please drink responsibly. Designate a driver.
added: February 9, 2009
updated: February 1, 2010
Ideas & What To Do
Five Wineries, Distance Of 114 Miles – If you’re traveling…
Three Wineries, Distance Of 51.5 Miles – With three wineries just…
Four Wineries, Distance of 45.9 Miles – Conveniently located…
Two Wineries, Distance Of 0.6 Miles – Tucked into the…
Three Wineries, Distance Of 65.1 Miles – Winding through the…
Four Wineries, Distance Of 74.7 Miles – This relaxing drive…
Three Wineries, Distance Of 65.4 Miles – Fans of the native and…
Four Wineries, Distance Of 42.3 Miles – Named for the ancient…
As you turn onto Groce Road in Wilkes County, the change of scenery is…
For decades, the culinary pantheon of Lexington, North Carolina has…