Wineries & Vineyards
Yadkin Valley: Four In The Foothills – Piedmont Trail
Four Wineries, Distance Of 14.3 Miles – Starting in historic downtown Elkin and ending just minutes from the Blue Ridge Parkway, these four wineries offer much in the way of food, fun and fantastic scenery. The Brushy Mountain Winery offers award-winning wines right on Elkin’s Main Street, while the Grassy Creek Vineyards and Winery operates in a family farm setting. Elkin Creek Vineyard boasts one of the best restaurants in the Yadkin Valley at The Kitchen at Elkin Creek, and the McRitchie Winery and Ciderworks prides itself on artisan wines and hard ciders made through sustainable agriculture and low-intervention winemaking.
North Carolina Grapes
Brushy Mountain Winery
125 West Main Street
Elkin, NC 28621
Amenities: Tasting room, gift shop, nearby restaurants in Elkin.
Wines: Chardonnay, Booger Swamp White Wine, Merlot, Bugaboo Creek Red Wine, Blackberry Wine, Raspberry Wine, Boysenberry Wine.
Elkin Creek Vineyard
318 Elkin Creek Mill Road
Elkin, NC 28621
Amenities: Tasting room, gift shop, The Kitchen at Elkin Creek restaurant on property.
Wines: Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, Sangiovese, Rossa, Dessert Wine, Soft White, Lights Up.
Grassy Creek Vineyards
235 Chatham Cottage Circle
State Road, NC 28676
Amenities: Tasting room, gift shop, walking and hiking trail, rental cabins on property.
Wines: Red Barn Blend, Merlot, Barbera, Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvingnon, Chardonnay, Sweet Guernsey Red, Golden Guernsey.
McRitchie Winery & Ciderworks
315 Thurmond Post Office Road
Thurmond, NC 28683
Amenities: Tasting room, gift shop, picnic area.
Wines: Chardonnay, Pinot Gris, Traminette, Pale Rider, Ring Of Fire Red, Merlot, Sparkling Niagara, North Carolina Hard Cider.
- From I-77: Exit at NC Highway 67 (Exit 82) toward Jonesville/Boonville/Elkin. Turn left onto NC67, go 2.1 miles, then turn left at East Main Street. The Brushy Mountain Winery is 0.1 mile down the street.
- Head east on Main Street to US Highway 21 Business Route, then turn left. Go 2.8 miles to West Carter Mill Road, turn left. Go 1.4 miles, then make another left onto Elkin Creek Mill Road. The Elkin Creek Vineyard is 0.1 mile down the road.
- Head back to NC-2044 and turn left, then turn right onto Pleasant Ridge Road. Go 1.7 miles and turn right at Klondike Extended, which turns into Klondike Road. After 1.4 miles, turn right to stay on Klondike Road, then turn right on Chatham Lodge Lane and left at Chatham Cottage Circle to arrive at Grassy Creek Vineyards.
- Get back to Chatham Lodge Lane and turn right. Go 0.3 miles and turn left onto Klondike Road. Go 1.6 miles and take another left onto US Highway 21. Go 5.9 miles and take a right onto NC-1331/Thurmond PO Road. McRitchie Winery & Ciderworks is 0.4 miles up the road.
- To return to Interstate 77, get back to US-21 and take a left, which will lead you directly to the Interstate. To continue on to the Blue Ridge Parkway, turn right onto US-21 and follow it approximately 14 miles to the Blue Ridge Parkway entrance.
Winery hours vary seasonally. Please call ahead to be sure the vineyards you want to visit will be open when you arrive. Please drink responsibly. Designate a driver.
added: January 2, 2009
updated: August 27, 2010